Skip to main content

Walmart Challenge Weeks Two & Three

Okay, so I'm a little ( a lot) behind in getting my week two ( and three) challenge update posted. In my defense, we went out of town for the girls' fall break. Which, in and of itself is not an excuse to not post. However,  when I mention we were at our cabin, in the middle of nowhere, with no Internet and no cell service it becomes the perfect excuse. For some, I know, this sounds like torture. For us, including our two teenage daughters, it is simply glorious.

Alas, last week's grocery haul was mainly reserved for cabin food. This cabin, nestled on 40 acres in a mountain canyon, has been in my husband's family for roughly 30 years, the actual land for much longer. As such, my little family has been visiting and staying here for 22 years. In those early visits, when my babies were babies, cabin food consisted of donuts, crackers and easy cheese, Fritos and bean dip, snack cakes, hot dogs and s'more supplies. Although tasty and inexpensive, our culinary prowess was not exactly in line with any dietary guidelines. As we've matured (and that's mostly the kids, not us) so has our nutritional wisdom, not to mention our palates. Now my cabin grocery list includes items like Gouda, croissants, fresh fruit, dates, vegetables, hummus and homemade bread. Don't get me wrong: we still bring sweets, albeit now in the form of truffles and homemade chocolate chip cookies, and not so healthy main dishes like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. However, as evidenced by our family's preference for gourmet cheese and chocolate, my cabin expenses have increased over the years, and not just due to inflation.

That said, my grocery bill last week came in at roughly $200. Yes, that clearly exceeds my weekly $150 budget, but I also purchased items not normally on my list like fancy candy, cheese blocks, one and half pounds of bacon, ingredients for a ham and vegetable chowder that made enough to feed us even after we got home and extra butter, cream and eggs for baking. In fact, my grocery bill for this week (technically week three of the challenge) has come in at just about $100. Thus, for two weeks, my $300 grocery spending is pretty on point. Mic drop.

Thoughts so far include the following:


  1. This challenge isn't really all that difficult. Walmart has definitely upped their grocery game including store brand lunch meats with no nitrates or nitrites, organic meat and poultry options, and a nice selection of produce and dairy. It is hugely convenient that I can get all of my shopping done in one place, including toiletries and household items. So, on convenience alone, and some selection variety, it's Walmart for the win.
  2. Walmart is still lacking in a few areas: namely bakery items, artisan cheese, all natural snack bars and local items such as honey and jams. I recognize that these items are luxury purchases and availability varies from store to store. However, at my Walmart, these items are either still completely unavailable or the selection is slim. I like to bake my own bread, but when I don't I know I can get a decent loaf at Fry's or Sprouts with like five ingredients for less than $3.00. At Walmart I buy the Nature's Own brand or even Sam's Club/Market Side brand. They're okay, but not as tasty in my opinion. I like to buy local honey as it benefits my husband's and daughter's allergies and Walmart doesn't carry any made in state.  Again, are organic snack bars reason enough for me to quit shopping at Walmart? No. Do I miss being able to conveniently purchase them? Yes. 
  3. The fact that I even have the financial means to choose to purchase the groceries I want, let alone choose where to purchase them, places me in a very small, privileged group. What has become glaringly obvious is I've become somewhat of a food snob and slightly elitist when it comes to my dietary habits and food choice (did you see my complaints in #2 above?) I must admit, and have been convicted to examine, the fact I probably place way too much importance on our nutrition and food choices. I think I've rationalized this by claiming that our health and nutrition help us to be better stewards of the bodies God gave us and do the work He calls us to do. While this may be true, I get the distinct feeling that God is not nearly concerned with the quality of my meat and produce as I have become. Additionally, my (our society's?) near obsession with "clean eating" and "real food" is probably not healthy for my family mentally or financially - matters also important to God. 
  4. Walmart does have healthy food options at reasonable prices, thus bridging the gap for many Americans between their financial means and their health goals. Indeed, Walmart, with its low price guarantee, selection of grocery, apparel and household items, has aided many financially strapped parents to not only continue to provide for their children, but to keep their dignity, values and standards in tact while doing so. My family is among those numbers. When my husband took a 70% pay cut and we lost our home nearly ten years ago, it was Walmart, along with the generosity of many in our church family, that allowed me to put a meal on the table each night and start my family off each day with food in their bellies and smiles on their faces. It was Walmart that made it possible for me to put presents under our Christmas tree that year and shoes on my girls' feet.  I think along the way, as I began to place more value on an ingredient list and brands, as opposed to value, both financial and ethical, I forgot what it really means to be a steward and keep my eyes on what's most important.
Listen, I'm not saying only unethical people shop at Sprouts and farmer's markets. I'm not even saying I won't shop at those place ever again. To be honest, I can't wait to go back. What I am saying, and what has been a surprising revelation from what started as a silly challenge, is perhaps I need to get my priorities back in line and redefine what is truly of value.









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walmart Challenge Conclusion

So, the Walmart Challenge has officially ended and the big question looms: Did I succeed? Did I manage to shop for groceries and household items exclusively at Walmart for 31 days?  Drum roll please..... Almost. Y'all I made it to the very last day. I'm talking Halloween, October 31, dia del fin. I'd purchased all my groceries for the week, including Halloween candy and special Halloween meals (my weekly dinner menu is at the end of this post) . . .  and then we decided last minute to carve pumpkins. No problem, I thought. Surely Walmart will have pumpkins, right? Wrong. Super Walmart: out of pumpkins. Walmart Market: out of pumpkins. Seriously, one day they had pumpkins as in yesterday, Monday, October 30 and the next day gone. All gone. How about Funkins I thought? Uh, nopety nope nope no.  Alas, in my best effort to preserve my status as perfect mom and not disappoint my kiddos  myself, I begrudgingly went to Fry's and purchased pumpkins, of which, point of

Face Value

"You shaved." My guy - before he shaved. These were the words uttered by my sixteen-year-old to her father as she walked in the door from school a couple weeks ago. My husband caught my eye, smiled small and looked at Jill, "Yes, I did," he responded quietly, yet affirmatively. My stomach sank. A wave of guilt washed over me like cold water as I stared at his newly, and still so handsome, clean-shaven face. I felt awful. I'd spent all day with this man, we had lunch and went shopping.  I'd even kissed him and yet I'd failed to see that his whiskers were gone and the scruff I used to feel rubbing against my cheek when we cuddled was noticeably absent. How could I have missed something so obvious? How could I fail to notice such a major change on the face of the most important person in my life this side of heaven? In short, I was so focused on myself, thinking on my own problems and issues, I'd become blind to anything else, including the lo