Skip to main content

Graduations & Celebrations

This past week feels like a whirlwind. We began last Monday with an event that still brings me to tears when I think about it: my girl's graduation. My oldest little chick if flying the coop - well, okay, not really. She's going to culinary school in state and plans to live at home for the first year. So it kind of feels like nothing has changed and yet everything has changed.  But still, given that she'll be a real, legal adult in just a couple months, my homeschooling, controlling, I mean caring, mothering days are in their sunset. But after the sunset always comes the sunrise and I am beyond excited for all that is coming up. Not the least of which is the fact that not only did we survive her teenage years, we actually had a ton of fun and I absolutely adore the young woman she has become. To not only be able to be her friend but to know I would actually choose her and count her among my best friends is the biggest blessing. Way to go, Emma! 


The week continued on and Wednesday found me and my girls celebrating the end of a successful school year over smoothie bowls and our favorite tortellini salad. I could not be more proud of both my girls and strength and grace they displayed as they finished strong both academically and personally.


Thursday we kicked off summer the way we always do: with s sushi lunch and a viewing, and sing-along of course, of Mama Mia! I'm not sure exactly when this tradition started but we've been doing this as long as I can remember and it is one of my very favorite family traditions. These days we get our sushi from Fry's (Kroger) and let me tell you, it does not disappoint.



Our culinary welcome back to summer continued on through Memorial Day as we grilled these tasty kabobs from Dashing Dish and bid adieu to a lovely long weekend with a homemade apple pie thanks to Jill. She found the recipe here and executed it to scrummy perfection.





















Hope your summer is off to as a good start as ours.  Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all who laid down their lives that we may freely live ours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walmart Challenge Conclusion

So, the Walmart Challenge has officially ended and the big question looms: Did I succeed? Did I manage to shop for groceries and household items exclusively at Walmart for 31 days?  Drum roll please..... Almost. Y'all I made it to the very last day. I'm talking Halloween, October 31, dia del fin. I'd purchased all my groceries for the week, including Halloween candy and special Halloween meals (my weekly dinner menu is at the end of this post) . . .  and then we decided last minute to carve pumpkins. No problem, I thought. Surely Walmart will have pumpkins, right? Wrong. Super Walmart: out of pumpkins. Walmart Market: out of pumpkins. Seriously, one day they had pumpkins as in yesterday, Monday, October 30 and the next day gone. All gone. How about Funkins I thought? Uh, nopety nope nope no.  Alas, in my best effort to preserve my status as perfect mom and not disappoint my kiddos  myself, I begrudgingly went to Fry's and purchased pumpkins, of which, point of

Face Value

"You shaved." My guy - before he shaved. These were the words uttered by my sixteen-year-old to her father as she walked in the door from school a couple weeks ago. My husband caught my eye, smiled small and looked at Jill, "Yes, I did," he responded quietly, yet affirmatively. My stomach sank. A wave of guilt washed over me like cold water as I stared at his newly, and still so handsome, clean-shaven face. I felt awful. I'd spent all day with this man, we had lunch and went shopping.  I'd even kissed him and yet I'd failed to see that his whiskers were gone and the scruff I used to feel rubbing against my cheek when we cuddled was noticeably absent. How could I have missed something so obvious? How could I fail to notice such a major change on the face of the most important person in my life this side of heaven? In short, I was so focused on myself, thinking on my own problems and issues, I'd become blind to anything else, including the lo