Skip to main content

Why I'm Skipping Halloween

Got your attention? Thought I might. If you know me at all, or heck, even a little, you know every year I fall in love all over again with fall. I mean head over heels, pie-eyed, head in the clouds autumn adoration. Additionally, you've probably heard many people at our church, Christ's Church of the Valley (CCV), explain we love Halloween because it is the one day a year our neighbors actually come knock on our doors and want to hang out. It's an awesome opportunity! So, if this is my favorite season, and I've been pinning fall decor and Halloween recipes galore, and I welcome the chance to get to know my new neighbors, why in the heck would I turn off my lights, lock my door, forgo handing out candy and pretend like I'm not home?


Well, in short, I won't actually be home. I'll be on my way to Barranquilla, Colombia.
I am excited to announce that Erik and I will be heading to Colombia with a wonderful group of Missionaries from our church to not only help facilitate and teach VBS, but to visit one of eight churches so many CCV members generously helped plant with our Compassionate Christmas initiative. Last Christmas, CCV members stepped up and sponsored over 11,000 children in Colombia through Compassion International. But, what I love about my church, is that's not where it stopped. Not only were all children available for sponsorship, sponsored, but CCV also committed to planting at least eight churches in Colombia to ensure that every child would have a church community to plug into. Again, because of the extreme obedience and generosity of CCV members, it looks like we will actually have the opportunity to help plant over 20 churches. Have I mentioned, I love my church?

Erik and I will leave on Halloween to fly to Colombia to visit a church plant, help in any way we can with their projects and VBS and also, perhaps the most exciting part, to hopefully meet the two precious girls we sponsored last Christmas. We've exchanged many letters and pictures with them and we are downright giddy with anticipation at the chance to meet them and thank them for their so sweet letters and drawings and also for the impact they've made in our family.

Sounds exciting, right? Here's your chance to get involved and be a part of the amazing Kingdom work happening in Colombia! There are several ways you can partner with us and help support all of the efforts in Colombia:

Prayer Support 

We covet and need your prayers. We ask that you not only pray for us and our fellow missionaries, but also our families we leave behind. We know the enemy would like nothing more than to distract us from the important work we're doing by causing struggles and trials at home. Additionally, pray for the churches and the sponsored children in Colombia. We pray that even more than financial impact, the impact of Jesus and the good news of the gospel transforms lives and legacies in every part of Colombia.

Financial Support

Did you know that missionaries pay to go on mission trips and serve in communities around the world? Erik and I have made payments toward our balance but we still owe approximately $1,500 prior to our departure. Any amount you give would be greatly appreciated and hugely helpful. Donations for our mission trip are tax deductable and 100% of your donation goes directly to our trip. Donations can be made by visiting the CCV Missions Page, choosing the Colombia EAV Campus trip and making a donation. If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to reach out to us or leave a comment below.

Crust & Crumb Bake Sale 

Okay, I might be most excited about this opportunity. As you may be aware, our oldest daughter, Emma, is currently a student at Scottsdale Community College studying to become a professional pastry chef. To help fund not only her education but causes near and dear to her heart, she has launched her own baking company: Crust & Crumb. She specializes in dessert items such as cookies, cupcakes and bars but can make special order items upon request. Her goal is to donate 50% of her profits every month to various causes and organizations about which she is passionate. I am humbled and honored that for the months of September and October she has chosen my mission trip. She will be selling one dozen cookies or bars for $12 or one dozen cupcakes for $15. She has a variety of flavor options available. To learn more about Crust & Crumb or to place an order, you can visit her Instagram page and send her a direct message, message her via email: ensurrett@gmail.com, or simply leave a comment below with your email and inquiry.

Thank you in advance for your prayers and support. I am excited to go on this trip with Erik, but even more excited to partner with each of you as we obey the command to go into the world and proclaim the Gospel.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walmart Challenge Conclusion

So, the Walmart Challenge has officially ended and the big question looms: Did I succeed? Did I manage to shop for groceries and household items exclusively at Walmart for 31 days?  Drum roll please..... Almost. Y'all I made it to the very last day. I'm talking Halloween, October 31, dia del fin. I'd purchased all my groceries for the week, including Halloween candy and special Halloween meals (my weekly dinner menu is at the end of this post) . . .  and then we decided last minute to carve pumpkins. No problem, I thought. Surely Walmart will have pumpkins, right? Wrong. Super Walmart: out of pumpkins. Walmart Market: out of pumpkins. Seriously, one day they had pumpkins as in yesterday, Monday, October 30 and the next day gone. All gone. How about Funkins I thought? Uh, nopety nope nope no.  Alas, in my best effort to preserve my status as perfect mom and not disappoint my kiddos  myself, I begrudgingly went to Fry's and purchased pumpkins, of which, point of

Face Value

"You shaved." My guy - before he shaved. These were the words uttered by my sixteen-year-old to her father as she walked in the door from school a couple weeks ago. My husband caught my eye, smiled small and looked at Jill, "Yes, I did," he responded quietly, yet affirmatively. My stomach sank. A wave of guilt washed over me like cold water as I stared at his newly, and still so handsome, clean-shaven face. I felt awful. I'd spent all day with this man, we had lunch and went shopping.  I'd even kissed him and yet I'd failed to see that his whiskers were gone and the scruff I used to feel rubbing against my cheek when we cuddled was noticeably absent. How could I have missed something so obvious? How could I fail to notice such a major change on the face of the most important person in my life this side of heaven? In short, I was so focused on myself, thinking on my own problems and issues, I'd become blind to anything else, including the lo